The Chateau was so beautiful. Like stepping back in time and so well preserved, I felt like a part of the past, fabulous!
Pieces of me . . .
- Switzerland_Aupair
- Zurich, Switzerland
- I am currently living and working as an aupair near Zurich, traveling in my free time, learning German, and enjoying fantastic cheese and wine!
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Montreux on Tuesday
In one of towers
A courtyard
Lake Geneva!
A street in Montreux near the water and the Bahnhof
Chillon bus stop
Lord Byron!?! In 1816 he went to the Chateau to see the dungeon where Francois de Bonnivard was imprisoned in 1532. Afterwards he wrote the poem, The Prisoner of Chillon.

See the imperfections in the glass!!?!! I love old windows!
The coast of Montreux
another courtyard
Over the YEARS, prisoners carved their names on the stone walls . . . amazing . . .
The original boards used when making the castle to uphold the gothic arches.
Byron carved his name on Bonnivard's pillar!!!! Ahh! It was surreal!!!
Bonnivard's pillar
11th century paintings!!!




Original paintings, more towards the 15th century
Montreux is so quiant and lovely. Just a gorgeous little town in the French speaking area of Switzerland. Tuesday I didn't have anything to do so I decided to take the train almost three hours to Montreux and see the Chateau Du Chillon there and walk around a bit. I ended up spending three hours touring the castle, had to figure out how to buy a bus ticket in French on the bus by myself for certain zones, haha, so proud of myself. ;-) Then to promenade by the Lake (of Geneva) was so lovely. Definitely worth spending an afternoon there. Not really much else to do, but if one wants a romantic quiet weekend this town is perfect!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment