Pieces of me . . .

My photo
Zurich, Switzerland
I am currently living and working as an aupair near Zurich, traveling in my free time, learning German, and enjoying fantastic cheese and wine!

Sunday, June 22, 2008

How to spend a weekend in Italy with the cost of two packages of batteries

It was absolutely amazing!!! And the most amazing part was that the only thing I had to pay for during the entire weekend were the batteries for my camera. AHHH! I took soooo many pictures which I will post after I describe the trip. I was so lucky to be able to go because Mr had to go on a business trip which allowed me to be able to go in his place. The Mrs went to the University to get a Masters in Law and this weekend was the yearly trip of the Alumni.

Friday
After picking O up from school in the morning we made our way to the ferry to cross over the lake of Zurich (I think) and through the Alps into Italy. Once in Italy Mrs needed my help navigating (oh my . . . can I just say that Italian roads are extremely confusing!?! How do they do it on the Amazing Race WITHOUT a GPS!?!). She then proceeded to tell me that the only time throughout the year she and her husband argue is during this very trip. HAHA! So I told her that as long as she didn't yell at me I would do my utmost to help, lol.

We were making it okay until we got to Santhia, missed the turn, had to drive further to find a place to turn around, making it back to Santhia and while I said to go one way we went another, lol, and had to pay the toll again until we finally got on the right road. The tolls there, instead of paying a certain amount at the beginning, are paid by how far one drives on said road. Another thing is that North and South are never mentioned on the signs, one just has to know where that road ends to make sure one is going in the right direction. Hence using a map, and understanding it, is essential. We finally arrived in Romano Canavese and made our way to the "Relais Villa Matilde" and I was absolutely mesmirized. Italy is so romantic, especially the country areas, and I definitely felt like Lucy Honeychurch. The Villa was 35 km from the first capitol of Italy, Turin, which is also located near the Castello di Masino we visited on Saturday.

Once we arrived we checked in and walked to a nearby place for Gelato, which was fantastic. During our brief stay I learned, Buon giorno (good day), Gratzi (thank you), Prego (you're welcome), and per favore (please). Their language is so pretty and I love the lilt of their accents. After our ice cream we went swimming, then had an amazing meal in the restaurant which used to be the stables. Our meal consisted of several courses. The first was a variety of thinly sliced meats, the second a delightful ravioli "con funghi porchini" (what kind of mushroom is a porchini!?!), the third was veal with sauteed veggies, and for dessert this hazelnut cake, which was more nutty than sweet, but still rather good. Then came the coffee and more talking, lol, supper was three hours. ;-)

Saturday
We woke at a decent hour, had a lovely breakfast in this room which had such delicate paintings all over the walls with huge windows opening over the front lawn. We then drove about 15kms to Torino, I believe, to see the "La Venaria Reale" which was so beautiful and I believe someone said it took 400 years to build and was still unfinished, but now is a school for careers in Restoration and horse riding!?! There was nothing in English for me to read, lol, so I shall have to check out this website, http://www.lavenariareale.it/.

After our tour we went to this adorable little cafe and had a panini with yummy mozzarella and tomato and then back to the Villa for more swimming and then on to the Castello di Masino. The group was so kind to have a tour guide speak English so that I could understand!!! Yay! This was so fascinating! Everything was so beautiful and the view was absolutely gorgeous and the one thing that made it better than anything else was the fact that until the last 20 years the last heir and his mother resided in this castle and all the furniture was their's and many rooms had remained in the same decoration and style, untouched really, for at least 200 years!!! There had been theft of course, some of the stolen paintings had recently been found in Los Angeles, lol. The one sad thing was the fact that the last heir died in 2001 without any children, thus a line that had lasted for hundreds of years was ended.

For our meal that evening our host treated us to a place he had found in a small village (http://www.ritorantedelmonte.it/) with regional cuisine and wines which were fabulous. It was such a treat for me and I know y'all will absolutely hate me! :-P The host kindly sat beside me during our meal and talked to me in English about his travels in Africa, Columbia, China, and so many places. He told me about the typical days in Columbia, how in the agricultural areas they have tremendous knowledge of natural medicine and have such tricks to cure skin problems, issues with mosquitos, and other ailments, which are unfortunetely being lost since the younger generations are running to the cities. We told me about traveling in Africa and tried to help me understand an Arab's concept of time and making promises. Lol, he said he had arranged to meet with a gentlemen and when the man never showed up he simple explained that God did not wish it. lol! I learned that the Swiss think Germans are arrogant and loud, while the Swiss are a quiet people and think instead of "making a show", one ought to demonstrate quality through preformance in one's character. Lol, he also said that they like Southerners because they are very kind and helpful, but he said that they also think we are superficial. He explained that the Swiss are very closed off at first, but once they grow to trust an outsider they are extremely open and believe in being friends for life, whereas they feel that Americans are too open, therefore making it difficult to become close to the people. We also talked about Bush and the War (:-)) and all about wines.

The meal itself began around 8pm, with Champagne (not from France, but cannot remember the regional name), then came fish from a stream within walking distance which was sauteed in a medley of herbs and served with a white wine (so incredibly good! It was called Erbaluce Di Caluso, http://www.orsolani.it/. Then so many courses with roasted vegetables, veal with hemp, potatoes, pasta, and so much more. We also drank a regional red wine which grew in the hills around Canavese. After all this came dessert! We had creme brulee with fresh raspberries from the garden and this dessert wine (my favourite, called Caluso Passito) and after that . . . lol, they brought Espresso with these little cookies (now it was after 11pm :-P). The funny thing during the whole meal amidst everyone's chatter and the friendly looks from other Italians was the fact that one of our party walked out the door into the narrow street to look into another house to see the Euro game score on a TV. Lol, they love their soccer here, what can I say?

It was so much fun and absolutely wonderful!

Sunday we had our lovely breakfast once again, packed up and then drove home this time taking a different route through the Alps.

I love Europe . . .

No comments: