Pieces of me . . .

My photo
Zurich, Switzerland
I am currently living and working as an aupair near Zurich, traveling in my free time, learning German, and enjoying fantastic cheese and wine!

Sunday, May 25, 2008

My first party!

Let us start with this morning! Last night I went to bed super late, but got up at 8:30 and had breakfast. My breakfast was cereal, orange juice (definitely not Florida juice), cappuccino, and yogurt (normally I hate yogurt, but this was AWESOME! Didn't have that weird aftertaste). While I ate my lovely meal I opened the windows and heard the gorgeous church bells toll and people chatting . . . Btw, the milk only lasts up to four days here before it goes bad. WOW! Alrighty, so now a tour of the room!

The bathroom


My bed and earring gadget (made by me!)

The bat was made by a friend from my old community college!


The bookshelf





The living area complete with computer, couch, chair, T.V, closet, fridge, microwave, and the garden.


The Foyer


This afternoon the parents brought me with them to a fellowship gathering with other mutual friends. We traveled to Muhen (I think that is spelled correctly. It is pronounced like a cow mooing, "mooin", lol). Muhen is absolutely gorgeous and reminded me of my Grandmother's cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains.


I was introduced to everyone and now know the European greeting I guess. In the States we just hug or shake hands or whatever, but here they put cheeks together three times or so. :-) A few people spoke English to me briefly but most of the time it was my turn to listen, lol, so while they chatted I listened to German and Spanish and sometimes French find its way into conversation. It was amazing to how even though I have only had maybe a year of Spanish, I was able to recognize certain words and even though it has been at least three years since I've heard ANY Spanish, I remembered! Twas great. So then I listened more carefully and was so funny to listen to the women talk about the children or black hair and so forth. Lol, they could have been talking me, but lol, it was all rather fascinating. :-P




For the meal each family brought their own meat to grill and all the ladies brought various side dishes.



O took me up the trail and we had a nice stroll before dinner.


After supper we listened to the women from Colombia, Uruguay, Peru, and elsewhere, sing and compare folk songs from their countries. A grandmama brought her guitar and sometimes the men would stop talking and join in. It was very neat to hear. They kept saying something about singing an American song but I laughed and said no and just enjoyed their culture.

O and I then played with the napkins before we left and made all sorts of weird and pretty napkins. Lol, we even made a fan with the napkin and a skewer. I proceeded to tell her about the language of the fan, but I shall have to check myself to make sure that it is correct. ;-)



Well, off to get ready for bed and tomorrow's new day. I have my first German classes EVER tomorrow and I officially begin work as an aupair. :-D



Guten Naucht!

No comments: