Pieces of me . . .

My photo
Zurich, Switzerland
I am currently living and working as an aupair near Zurich, traveling in my free time, learning German, and enjoying fantastic cheese and wine!

Saturday, May 24, 2008

I have arrived!

Hello Everyone!

Friday morning around 8am I arrived in Zurich, got my bags, and made my way through customs where I waited about 30 minutes for a certain someone to pick me up! I will be taking care off her two children, maintaining the laundry, helping around the house, taking the children to futbol and ballet, and whatever other tasks needed to complete. :-) In return she pays for my room, meals, German language classes, and offers the unbelievable experience of cultivating a life in a foriegn country! It is amazing how entirely different everything is here. I have so much to learn and while it is intimidating, simple tasks such going to the market for produce or taking the train or even ordering from a menu become more than rewarding.

Thursday morning a great friend took me to the airport, we had lunch, and chatted for a bit and then she saw me off to embark on this great journey. I flew from the Tri-Cities airport to Atlanta then straight to Zurich. Sleeping on the plane was a joke, but somehow I was able to get an hour of sleep, however difficult and about 2am eastern time found me in Zurich around 8am. I was then shuttled to my studio apartment, took a short break, and then it was on to take a short walk, look at the map, go over a bit of the duties I'll be preforming and then on the the market bymyself to attempt to buy myself some lunch.

The market was great! The market is called "Migros" and is like our Walmart, complete with the grocery area downstairs and above everything else. This area was connected to more shopping areas resulting in a strip of shops. For 2 francs one "rents" a buggy (you get the franc back if you return it. Perhaps this should start in the States? Would help out the baggers immensely!) and the buggies even go up a smooth escalater (they lock into place to prevent rolling over people, lol) up to the 2nd floor. THe shopping experience went alright, I was able to recognize things in the aisles, some of the words are rather similar, and if not of course pictures help immensely. ;-) Anyway, I was hoping to be able to make it in and out without having to mention the fact that I know nothing! Lol, but instead was chastised for not weighing the apple I bought and putting the sticker on the bag (everyone SAVES bags here) and today while shopping with my employer learned that some of the produce displays a number, which after placeing the said fruit upon the scale one pushes the corresponding number and out prints the sticker that tells the cashier how much it is (forget all the produce codes cashiers memorize in the states! *4011 = bananas). So having announced that I am a bloody american I then try looking for the bags, haha, forgetting the fact that Europeans when shopping bring their own bags (here the bags are 30 francs each. Oh and to give you an idea on money 100 dollars egual 94 francs, I believe) and sheepishly gather my items, looking completely foolish stroll out avoiding humerous stares in my direction. Once back to the apartement (3 minute fast walk) inhale my food, collapse on the bed, accidentely sleep for two hours and then wake up to unpack my bags. :-P

Later that evening Mr. And Mrs. X take me to J's judo class (a type of karate?) and then the three of us and O walk to this Italian restaurant where we celebrate with champagne (something starting with the letter"P") and then Mr. walks back to pick up J and we eat a lovely meal on the balcony overlooking the lake of Zurich and see the BEAUTIFUL Alps, covered in SNOW! Ahh! Too lovely! While waiting the children and I walked around in the garden below while O told me about the red "Mund" (Moon) flowers that close in the evenings looking like cresent purse clutches. Finding one, she said, was good luck, I believe, and they are indeed beautiful.

After our meal we walked back, bought a tiny ice cream, and then back to my apartment, eating alone took almost four hours, lol.

More soon, but they are picking me up for supper! Ciao!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hi honey! Enjoy! XOXO